Prostate cancer is one of the most common types of cancer in men today.
PSMA (prostate specific membrane antigen) is a smart molecule used in both imaging and treatment of prostate cancer. Gallium is marked with 68 radioactive element and injected into the patient intravenously and then imaging is performed with a PET / CT device.
Ga-68-PSMA PET / CT is used in imaging of high-risk prostate cancer, detection of its spread to the body, showing recurrence in patients who have undergone prostate surgery or with increased PSA (biochemical relapse) after radiotherapy, planning Lu-177-PSMA (Lutetium) treatment, planning radiotherapy and It is used to evaluate the response of treatments.
It is more successful than imaging methods such as ultrasonography, CT and MRI in detecting recurrence and its extent after treatment.
How is Gallium 68 PSMA applied?
• The examination does not require hunger.
• After the drug is given intravenously, it takes 45-60 minutes. There is a waiting period for the drug to be distributed throughout the body.
• The shooting time in the device is about 20 minutes and it is necessary not to move during this time.
• It is recommended to drink plenty of water before and after the test.
• Before the procedure, the patient is given a contrast agent. There is no need for any preparation other than this.